Monday, September 12, 2011

*BiKiNi WaRRioR* PART II

First of all, let me apologize to my readers, friends, coworkers and family. I'm MORE than a MONTH behind on blogging. (Is it two months?.... shit!) I know, I know, I made myself a goal to write a blog at least ONCE a week and I haven't been following through. Point the finger at me, I can take it. Second of all, since it's been more than a HOT minute... this is gonna be a LONG one. Don't say I never warned you. 


Let's get back into PART II of *BiKiNi WaRRioR*! The week leading up to the big show was  the most important and crucial time EVER in order to see the results I worked so hard for  the past 5 weeks. First, the water loading of 3 gallons of water from Sunday to Tuesday, decreased to 1/2 gallon on Wednesday, 2-4 oz on Thursday, no water on Friday (only to sip), and absolutely no water on Saturday. (Sipping is okay if needed.) Let me tell you that once I got to Thursday, I was grateful that I drank 3 gallons of water earlier that week. I craved water as the next few days continued like I was stranded in the Sierra Desert. I appreciated H20 more than you know. I also took a natural diuretic to help with the cleansing process. FYI: The bathroom was my second home. LITERALLY. 



Imagine killing it in the gym, pushing it through the prowler, swinging a kettle bell, pounding through a metabolic workout and not being able to guzzle down some agua!? You're sweating it out and all you can do is swish around some water in your mouth and spit it out to play tricks on your brain that you're actually drinking it. That's what you call GOT GRIT!! Mind over matter baby.
From Monday through Thursday, I followed Green Faces Phase 1 which consisted of only proteins and vegetables. However, sodium was the minor detail I had to pay attention to. From the Thursday to Monday before peaking, I consumed foods with high sodium, Monday - Low Sodium, Tuesday - No Added Sodium, Wednesday - NO Sodium and no salt added to my food whatsoever. Everything had to be boiled to remove salt. (Yes, I said boiled... meaning everything was VERY bland.) Thursday is the same as Wednesday and Friday is also no sodium, but this is where I began to eat carbs. 



During the first part of the week I felt bloated from all the water loading. I dropped 3-4 pounds in 2 days down to 126lbs. I felt so light with no sodium or carbs, but my body looked flat. Once Friday hit and I began consuming carbohydrates, I finally started to see visual changes to my body. My carb loading meals consisted of: Yams, Sweet Potatoes, Oatmeal, Apples, Blueberries, Rice Cakes and Almond Butter. Yams with cinnamon and rice cakes with almond butter were like heaven to me. (Matter of fact, they STILL ARE!) As the day progressed, I examined my body every time I ate a carb and I began seeing my muscles emerge from under the skin. 


The night before the show, it is important to get enough sleep and rest, but of course... that didn't happen for me. It was time to get tan which I was not a big fan of, but the dark tan looks good on stage. Thankfully, I had my best friend Diana to help lather the cream on. I felt like I looked like a Oompa Loompa from Willie Wonka. See the picture below for yourself. (Sing along if you feel like... "Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo...") 


OK. So ya'll get the picture.  This was my first Bikini Competition ever, so walking into the Auburn Performing Arts Center on Saturday, July 23rd, was definitely an eye opening experience. After checking in, Diana and I went backstage where all the ladies were getting ready. I had never seen so many fit women in one room in my life... EVER! Muscles everywhere. May I say tan muscles? Bathing suits everywhere. Hairspray, oil, makeup, rice cakes, almond butter, gallons of water... you name it, it was all there with a bowl of chocolates too. 

Diana and I came prepared (as always) with our lunchbox of food, hair done, nails done, make up done, everything did. All that was left: minor primping and time to relax before hitting the stage for pre-judging. I ate another almond buttered rice cake, mingled with the ladies, and took some pictures with my girls Diana and Erin who competed in Fitness. I wasn't really nervous, I was more so thirsty as hell and I wanted to dive into the bowl of chocolates displayed 6 feet in front of me, but I knew I would be devouring everything I could later that evening after the show. 
Therefore, I took advantage of some relaxation and posted up on the ground. Do you see the heels we had to wear? I mean, they are comfortable... but not forever. Plus, laying on the ground with your legs up actually helps decrease the bloating that occurs from standing in heels too long. (I hope you are taking notes.) That's what (me) a rookie learned from a figure fitness pro. (Thank you to the nice lady in the red suit.)


10 A.M. came and went like a blink of an eye. All of the sudden your walking on stage, flexing everything you have, smiling like you have Vaseline on your teeth and struttn' what your momma gave ya and then some. Truth be told, the stage is a place where I am actually comfortable in. I get butterflies but they vanish fairly quickly. It's mostly an adrenaline rush I feed off of. I was there to show these judges how hard I worked and so I charmed them the best way I could. Smile. Pose. Smile. Strut. Smile. Kill it. Done. Whip that hair. (Totally kidding on 'Whip that hair.") 

After the pre-judging, I was beat, grouchy and exhausted. I wanted water and carbs. I took my butt straight to bed for a 4 hour recovery nap until I had to be back for the evening show. You did NOT want to be around me. I couldn't think and I did NOT want to talk to anyone, except my pillow. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks! Plus, my body felt SO happy. So happy that I looked more toned in the evening than I did for the pre-judging event that morning. That's when I learned that I should have carb loaded even more the night before and gotten more rest. Recovery is important! I mentally took these notes for when I decided to take on this challenge again. 

During the main event and as a part of the evening show, they introduce each individual bikini contestant out on stage by your name as you strike your pose and smile your sexy out. There is no time to be shy, it's only time to be stage ready! The photo to the left is the backside of Diana. Get it sis! 
My good friend and coworkers Nora and Jessica supported me in the crowd and helped take these photos. Feel free to click on the video below. It's super short, but if you have never been to a show it gives you a taste of what it is like. 

So, what happens after they introduce you on stage? Well, you line up with the rest of the ladies in your height class and do one pose. After you walk off, they then call out the 'Top 5 Contestants.' I didn't think about me being in the Top 5. My mission was to do the contest. And then... I heard my name. So I ran on stage like a crazy lady. Not really. But, in heels, you can only imagine.  


I was in shock! Surprised really. I had never won anything like this before in my life. Within seconds I was handed a Samurai Sword and a Tiara was placed on my head as  the rest of the Top 5 contestants were called out. All I could think of was, "What am I gonna do with this Samurai Sword... it's HUMANGEOUS and where am I gonna put it?" 





I could hear my trainer Luka and Vigor Vixens Pam and Rebekah in the audience cheering for me. All I could do was giggle inside and smile. I am truly grateful for my friends and family who supported and pushing me during my six weeks of crazyness. You know who you are!  


In a Nutshell, the 2011 NPC Washington State Open Bikini Competition was an experience I will always remember! 




On to the next!? WHAT!? Stay Tuned... as I have another challenge up my sleeve! PLUS... as one chapter ends, another begins. I'll spill the beans soon. I promise it won't take me over a month to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment